Thursday, August 18, 2011

Cleaning Out My Closet

Last Friday, was good day for me.  I was off from work, no assignment due and I had a whole day to do whatever came to mind.  Instead of being a bum and watching cheesy movies all day, I decided to start a project I’ve been putting off for the last 6 months…..cleaning out my closet. I wish I had taken a picture before I started to show you how scary this thing looked. Now that I think of it, I would probably be too shame to show it! Let’s just say, I had unfolded clothes from the floor to damn near eye height. You couldn’t open the door without something falling on you! NO JOKE!  I took a deep breath, took the comforter off the bed and jumped right in!

As I went through the clothes I was amazed #1- I even wore some this shit, #2 - I could even FIT some of this shit at one point and #3- that I could remember when I purchased and wore every piece I touched.  It’s amazing I can remember that kind of crap, but can’t seem to remember where I put my damn keys!  I started this project at 10am; by 6pm, I had the closet empty! I swear I ran a marathon when I was finished! My body hurt and my house was TRASHED! As I pulled clothes out I made a snap decision to whether I was going to keep it or give it away.  The giveaway area was in the living room.  As you can see from the pictures, it was huge! The sad part is that I still have 8 bags of clothes in the storage closet on my patio and about 3 bags of clothes stored in the TV box behind the dining room table!   I slowly hung up all the dresses, put the purses on the shelf and discarded old shoes.  When I was done organizing the closet, I had 13 loads of laundry to do (I did break one of those loads into two as I hate odd numbers) and a mound of clothes to fold and box for the shelter.  By Sunday after church, I had done all the laundry and folded the mound neatly.
I felt good, relieved.  I had cleaned out my “dirty little secret.” Like most things in life, the surface looked clean, but as you open different doors the truth starts to show.  I had cleared my hiding place out. I’ve slept with the door open every night since!  Cleaning out my closet made me think of other areas of my life I need to “clean out.” What areas of my life am I holding on to unnecessary feelings or unresolved issues? Will these things be as easy as cleaning out my closet? How can I improve me?  How do I make my life better by letting go of the dead weight?  I know what I need to improve on and I will in due time…like after my show goes off and the world runs outta beer!  I sure hope you weren’t expecting some life changing, deep thought! You were? Oh. I’m fresh out and have been since 1976!

1 comment: