This morning I had a conversation with my Papa that started with us talking about chitterlings or pig guts being better than sweet potatoes (not true) and ended with him declaring his love for President Obama. "He's a good colored man! You graduate from Harvard, you ain't no dummy!" When was the last time you heard said someone was 'colored'? It actually threw me off a little. Given the man is 85 years old, it was legal and I didn't give him a hard time....this time. After thinking about it, I think I'll add 'colored' to my list of old school words that make me smile. *writes 'colored' down right next to 'on the strength'*
Anybody that knows me knows that I LOVE 5 things...Elvis, tacos, long legged men, pancakes, and sweet potatoes! I am the Forrest Gump of Sweet Potatoes! I can, will and have eaten them every way possible. Sweet potato pie, Sweet potato cake, baked, fried, boiled, raw, Sweet potato bread and on and on. My favorite is by far is the Sweet Potato Sandwich! To claim that Chitterlings are better than a Sweet Potato Sandwich is a mighty bold statement, especially for an 85 year old man, so I had to stay and defend the almighty sweet potato. The base of his claim was that chitterlings goodness all depends on who cleans them. We're talking about pig intestines, right? I don't give a damn if my mama's mama's mama, aunt's mama sister who was a direct descendant of Moses cleaned them, I ain't sliding that crap pass these lips right here! Pig guts? Even if you 'clean' them, you have to account for all the years that the pig's been alive, the foulness has to be set in, right? Perfect example, you buy a new plastic cup. You use the cup up to three times everyday to drink your apple cider. Over time, no matter how much you wash the cup the apple cider smell and essence will linger. Same with chitterlings. Regardless of how you clean them, the smell and essence of shit will linger. Now I don't know how YOU were raised, but we don't voluntarily eat shit and we certainly chose death before we are forced to eat shit.
Now the sweet potato is golden! My people make the best homemade rolls. I'm not sure where this recipe came from, but trust me when I say homemade bread is the S.H. I.T.org. A homemade roll with a thick sliced sweet potato drizzled in cinnamon butter glaze will make you speak in tongues, interrupt what you said and praise His goodness all before the first bite! Where is this story going? I'm not sure what my point was, but a long story short...sweet potato rule, chitterlings are full of shit and our President is 'colored'. The end.

No comments:
Post a Comment